Laptop Battery Not Charging: Troubleshooting Guide
- 22 May, 2018
For many, their laptop is one of the most important tools that they own. For example, if you’re some sort of student, you need it to finish up those key assignments; if you’re a professional, you rely on it to make a living; and even if you just use it to keep in touch with family and friends, it’s still important.
It’s no wonder, then, that you’ll have a mild panic attack when you discover that your laptop battery is suddenly not charging! That’s why our team at iTEKcanada Technologies wrote this official troubleshooting guide.
If you have any questions about your laptop battery not charging, don’t hesitate to reach out to us now.
Troubleshooting Your Laptop Battery: Tips & Tricks
Here are a few methods that you can use to get to the root of your laptop battery issues. But, remember, if none of them get your laptop battery charging again, then the battery itself is probably broken and you’ll need to find a laptop battery replacement.
1. Unplug the charger; try a different outlet. Sometimes, simply giving it a break for a minute can help.
2. Restart the computer, briefly removing the battery. Similarly, a good ol’ reboot never hurt anyone.
3. If the laptop is hot, let it cool down first. If the computer is overheated, it can’t charge properly.
4. Inspect the cord for any abrasions or frays. Breaks and tears in the cord will prevent it from charging.
5. Examine the connection for wobbliness. If the connection to the computer isn’t secure, it won’t work.
6. Replace the entire charging apparatus. Try buying a completely new charger, as that could be the issue.
7. Update your laptop’s battery driver software. For PCs, go to Start -> Control Panel -> System and Security -> Device Manager -> Batteries. Then, download the new driver software and restart your computer. For Apple laptops, open System Preferences and reset the System Management Controller.
8. Start your laptop without the battery (simply run it on the power cord). By this point, if nothing is effective so far, it looks like your battery truly is the problem. Yet, there’s a final step that you should take to double-check that it’s not the charger. If everything works fine, then you know that the power cord functions like it should, and you can suspect that the issue lies in the battery. Look for a replacement!
Contact Us Today for Additional Help with Charging Your Laptop Battery!
If none of the techniques above seemed to help, then it might be time to consult with a professional. Our iTEKcanada experts can help! Get in touch with us today, and we’ll get working on the solution.
However, if you suspect that your laptop’s battery is completely busted, then it might be time to order a replacement. Browse our massive selection of over 800 laptop batteries today. You won’t regret it.